Two children die in a house fire in Kampong Chhnang

2021-09-06 10:51:11

Khmer Times / August 17, 2021

Two children died when their home they stayed in was engulfed with fire on Saturday in Kampong Chhnang province’s Samakki Meanchey district.

The fire was caused by electrical fault in Por Rithikrai village at about 9am on Saturday when their grandparents went out for shopping and their parents went to work at the factory.

Samakki Meanchey district deputy governor Chhuon Channa identified the two sibling as Noeun Chetra, 10, and his seven-year-old sister, Noeun Chantha.

“The guardians were not punished because they locked the door to prevent their grandchildren from going out and playing in the pond behind their house to avoid drowning”, Channa said.

Svay commune police chief Captain Chea Ron said, “At the time of incident, neighbours tried to bang against the door to force it open to rescue them, but they could not break through the locked door. The two children had died of suffocation.”

He said that the villagers extinguished the fire, but the children had died.

image.png