Fire destroys 18 houses, affects 41 families
May9, 2022, 2022/ Khmer Times
A fire on the evening of May 7 tore through 18 houses along National Road 5, Russey Keo district, Phnom Penh. Residents claim the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring. There were no injuries.
Khmer Times interviewed residents in village 2, group 4, Chrang Chamres commune of the district and all agreed that the fire was caused by faulty wiring. One of the owners went to the province and left his house unattended. While he was away the fire started.
Saoh Sari Hvas, 43, a fish seller said the fire destroyed 18 houses occupied by 41 families.
“The night of the fire was calm with no wind, but the fire tore through the buildings so quickly,” she said.
She added that her family lost a refrigerator, washing machine, Tuk Tuk, family book, and the land certificate.
“I’ll rebuild my home, but I don’t know where I will get the money,” she said.
Mary Youm, 56, lives with her sick husband and two orphaned grandchildren and the fire has left her in a difficult situation.
“I can’t work to earn money, and I’m responsible for my relatives. So, there is only me to work and support them. I had two or three jobs but they weren’t regular. Sometimes I work as a fish cleaner, washing clothes, massage. After the fire, I was donated food such as rice and instant noodle,” she said.
Kriya Vanny Ta, 21, works at a coffee shop, said: “I lost a motorbike, clothes cabinet and all my clothes were destroyed. The clothes that I am wearing right now are from neighbours. That night I was lucky because every night when my mother and brother go to work they always lock the door from the outside, but that night they didn’t,” she said.
She added that “as a street food seller I strive very hard to feed my children and now my home has been destroyed by fire. It is really difficult for my family, but we have received donations from generous people especially the Cambodia Red Cross that donated 50 kg of rice, instant noodles, one tent, pillows, blankets and 20,000 riel ($5).
Nors Arhsihsas, 28, a fish seller said: “In my home there are three families and this disaster is very sad for us. Damaged property included a refrigerator, TV, two cabinets, well everything in the house. The community chief visited and said that they will help, but I don’t know how much they can help us. They have given us some food.
Thim Rosed, 42, a fisherman said: “The home is very important for people, and really sad for me as the breadwinner of the family. I really want to rebuild my home quickly, but I don’t know where I will get the money. I have to take care of my parents in law and my two children are still studying.”