Grandson sets fire to house killing 80-yr-old grandmother
Khmer Times /September 21, 2021
An 80-year-old grandmother who was asleep was burnt to death when her grandson, a drug addict, set fire to the house in Damnak Thom 4 village, Stung Meanchey commune, Meanchey district in Phnom Penh around midnight yesterday.
The deceased was identified as Ros Himya while her 33-year-old grandson, Wu Man has been detained for questioning by the police.
Stung Meanchey II deputy chief Seng Syvantha said the incident happened about 12.45am yesterday when the grandson set fire to the house killing the grandmother.
He added that the whole house was razed to the ground but fortunately the fire did not spread to the neighbouring houses.
“The grandson has been known for his drug addiction. The family had sent him to drug rehabilitation twice but he could not be rehabilitated from his habit as he kept going back to his bad habit,” said Syvantha.
When the fire started engulfing the house, he added, the people around and the firemen who came in five fire trucks tried to rescue the victim but they couldn’t as the fire spreading too fast and overpowering their efforts.
The firemen, he said it took about 30 minutes to bring the raging flames under control.
He said the victim’s charred body was later taken out from the house by relatives for funeral rites.
Meanwhile, in another incident which happened about 9.50pm yesterday four houses were completely destroyed due to a short circuit in one of the houses at the Russian Federation Road, Group 31, Village 3, Srah Chak commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh.
Srah Chak commune chief Chay Thirith told Khmer Times yesterday that the owner of one of the houses, Heng Lykun, 35, had rented it to Meas Bunsal, 32, who sells computers.
According to the police, the fire is believed to have started from Bunsal’s house and the damage incurred due to the fire is estimated to be more than $100,000.
No one was injured or killed in the fire.
Phnom Penh Municipal police spokesman Colonel San Sokseiha told Khmer Times that they have yet to confirm the actual cause of the fire and damage cost.